The Secretive Owl: Jan Kushnier

As a diurnal flyer I prefer to roost at night. I am well able to avoid predator birds that I might encounter during the day, but at night, I would be compromised. Now and then, just as the day starts to get a little dusky, an owl might perch itself atop a telephone pole or in a tall tree to survey its territory. It has not yet begun the evening hunt. I do not know for certain whether a carrier pigeon would be part of its dietary regimen. I am not entirely confident in this regard. I give it a wide berth. Hopefully it will be none the wiser.
Potter Jan Kushnier says she has always been drawn to owls:

Though they appear quiet and reflective, owls always have a purpose. They continually question: Who? Who? But mostly I am intrigued by their bright eyes ... a window to their secretive souls.

It would seem that a place for Jan at Proutopia: Birds of a Feather was foretold. She says she received a special message:

A note in my birthday card this month said: Fly, fly high. I am taking that as an omen!


“Clay play” is the phrase Jan uses to describe her pottery work:

When I manipulate clay, it is as though a part of me reshapes itself and is set free in the clay. I mainly create masks and wall-mounted fish ...  forms which are very spiritual and transforming for me.

She says her creative process allows her to lose all sense of time, and problems disappear:

My energy is focused on making something from a cold lump of clay. And when that transformation happens, my heart sings.
She knows that with raku, there are no guarantees. Raku firing is a catalyst for the capricious: red hot pottery sealed out of sight into a can full of combustibles, starved of oxygen. Carbon is left behind where there is no glaze: stress, cracks, flashes of colour, fire scarring. It is an invisible alchemical process:

The raku process excites me as it is so unpredictable. Results can be good, bad or
ugly. I have been known to chirp and strut about when the results are good.

The workings of the kiln are a secret magic, like the soul of an owl.

Settling in where I can see the owls, but the owls can’t see me.
Your security conscious reporter,

Wendy King p.p. (pigeon post)

You can wing safely into Proutopia for one of four daytime flights, two each day.
Go to our media sites just below to book $5 advance tickets. Gate tickets $10.
Jan Kushnier



PROUTOPIA LINKS

Comments

Popular Posts