When Sheep Fly: Suzanne Budlong - The Sheep-Ish Spinner


The mornings are still cool and I crave a little warmth before I meet the sun high in the sky. Feathers are fine but, truth be told, this is where sheep have it all over us birds. Their wool is warm and incredibly versatile. You can turn it into almost anything. Once gathered, it can be gathered again and again.

Feathers, on the other hand, are really only useful for warmth when stuffed into other things. And gathering them tends to be a one time affair for the bird.

Not all birds are feather-clad, though. Take the Muppets birds. Sure, they all have feathers here and there, but their bodies, like their personalities, are wild and woolly - so naturally they would attract someone who is into the texture of textiles. Someone like Suzanne Budlong, The Sheep-Ish Spinner:

I would totally be a Muppets bird. Not Big Bird, but one of the random extra birds that Jim Henson would have in various sketches on his show. I love the fun and craziness of the Muppets, as well as the art and creativity.

Suzanne spins and dyes yarn and fibre using plant dyes and other organic materials.

At Proutopia’s art market this year I’ll have a large selection of naturally dyed yarn and fibre available, including some kits for making specific items. I also have a supply of beaded stitch markers.

She says if she was a bowerbird, the invitation to get your hands on the wool would be her draw:
I would have a lot of different colours and textures for people to come and look at, including fibres from different breeds of sheep. I would also have samples of completed projects like shawls draped all around. I like to have a couple of spinning wheels with me. I generally spend a good portion of a sale day spinning, which always attracts people. I am always happy to have people come and squish the yarn.

Suzanne’s art form is destined to become someone else’s art form:
It makes me happy knowing that the art that I make will be purchased by someone who will then make more art ... it’s knowing that the yarns and fibres will be crafted into something beautiful to keep people warm during our cold winters.

I’ll choose the wool sweater over the down-filled vest any day.
You’re welcome, geese.

Warmly, your faithful avian correspondent,
Wendy King p.p. (pigeon post)

Have you chosen your flight for Proutopia: Birds of a Feather festival art market? Discounted advance tickets ($5) will make you feel warm all over and you can get them by clicking on our links. Regular price at the gate is $10.


PROUTOPIA LINKS

Comments

Popular Posts